Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).
Mold testing is accomplished by direct sampling of visually noticeable mold growth through lift tape sampling. The lift tape is lightly applied to the mold area and is then taken off – capturing any mold which is present. The number of tests required is dependent on the number of areas where mold is present. The tests are then sent to a laboratory for analysis to determine which types of molds are present and if any additional steps are needed. We will receive the results of the tests from the laboratory and will then forward the results to our client and anyone they choose for further consideration.
Mold can cause many health effects. For some people, mold can cause a stuffy nose, sore throat, coughing or wheezing, burning eyes, or skin rash. People with asthma or who are allergic to mold may have severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung disease may get infections in their lungs from mold.
There is always some mold around and molds have been on the Earth for millions of years. Mold can get in your home through open doors, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can be brought indoors on clothing, shoes, bags, and even pets.
Mold will grow where there is moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been a flood. Mold grows on paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.